Application Development Engineer
- Post Date:23/05/2022
- Views 168
- Experience Mid (3 - 5 yrs)Working time Full-time, Part time 3/4Requirements Hardware development, Programming, Problem solving, Product development, Commercial awareness, Quality control
- Type of contract Contract of employmentContract duration Indefinite periodLanguages Excellent verbal and written skills in English
- Start of work 23.07.2022Possible locations Alkmaar
You provide the solution to the customers sensing need
At PhotonFirst, the Application Development Engineers bridge the gap between the
available technology and the customers need for a solution. You are a key player in
the entire application development trajectory: from teaming up with sales, to
understanding the requirements of the customer, to translating these into the
technical requirements of the system, designing & testing the system, making sure
that the customer is satisfied with the delivered solution and to follow-up in support.
Your tasks & responsibilities are broad
• Clear and effective communication with the sales team and the customer; to
ask the right questions and to define the proper user requirements
• Providing technical output by translating user application needs to
comprehensive system requirements, using your strong analytical skills.
• During the detailed design phase, you work closely together with the (software)
development team to come to a complete solution for our customer.
• You continue building the process of standard validated components to be
used for application solutions, and you are eager to contribute to the innovation
of new components.
• In line with our DNA, you like a challenge and use your creativity to come up
with an innovative design, from an early concept to detailed descriptions.
• Setting up technical specifications with well-defined tolerances and clear views
for the needed components.
• Setup and execute the test plan to validate the designed system configuration
• Translate theoretical knowledge into practical solution and clearly report the
• Provide timely support to the customer when needed.
Direct reporting line
The Application Development Engineer reports to the Team Lead Application
Development, Projects & Support.
Relevant requirements regarding knowledge and experience
• University (WO) or University of Applied Science (HBO) degree in Applied Physics,
Biomedical- or precision engineering with an affinity for photonics.
• You are an assertive team player, and take ownership of the assigned projects
• 3 or more years of experience as an engineer or system architect
• Knowledge of the application of photonics or able to learn quickly
• Analytical skills; you have the ability to translate complex requirements into a
• Experience with a professional quality management system: structured system
development according to a process, document revision control, reviews and
• Knowledge of documentation: requirements, system design descriptions, risk
analysis, validation test plans
• Able to work in a structured manner in lab, handle components carefully and
have an eagerness for quality
• Excellent verbal and written skills in English; ability to write reports and
documents such as user requirements, system design descriptions, risk analysis,
validation test plans and clearly present them to the team and/or customer
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel)
• Programming skills: MATLAB and/or Python
This is a job in a fast-growing company. We prefer a fulltime commitment but we are
open to 32-36hrs as well. You work from our Alkmaar headquarters.
PhotonFirst is a young and maturing professional organization. We have developed
a strong pragmatic team mentality in which we work and experiment together to
achieve common goals. We are looking for a wide diversity of people coming from
different backgrounds to join our organization.
We have formulated the following
personal traits contributing to our professional mentality:
• Passionate team player taking ownership
• Open, straight, result driven and can-do mentality
• Pioneering, creative, flexible, and entrepreneurial
• Perseverant, professional, and well structured
• Friendly & ‘fun to work with’
Contact us to learn more
Should you have any questions about the role, the team or PhotonFirst, please don’t
hesitate to contact Michael Haverdings (Team Lead Application Development,
Projects & Support) or our HR and Recruitment advisor, Christel Rep
(firstname.lastname@example.org) via +31 85 0076700