Software Development Engineer
- Post Date:24/05/2022
- Views 63
- Experience Mid (3 - 5 yrs)Working time Full-time, Part time 3/4Requirements Programming
- Additional Qualifications PhysicsType of contract Contract of employmentContract duration Indefinite period
- Languages Excellent communicator in English, both verbally, in writing and presentingStart of work 23.04.2022Possible locations Alkmaar
- Remote work You preferably work from our Alkmaar headquarters, but we have a hybrid working policy allowing you to work 2 days from home if the work permits.
You provide the solution to the customers’ sensing need
At PhotonFirst, the application development team bridges the gap between the
available technology and the customers’ need for data. You align with the
customer their needs for user interface & data analysis of the customized photonic
sensing system needed for their application. You are a key player in the entire
application development trajectory: from teaming up with sales, to understanding
the requirements of the customer, to translating these into the technical
requirements of the system, designing & testing the system, making sure that the
customer is satisfied with the delivered solution and to follow-up in support. You
develop and build customer specific applications based on our core library of
existing software modules.
Your tasks & responsibilities are broad
• Front-end development having affinity with, and knowledge of back-end
design. You are responsible for the high-level development of software from user
requirements, to final release. You are part of the entire development trajectory,
from start to end, with the freedom to incorporate your own ideas.
• You are able to interpret measurement data from the photonic systems and
translate that to key parameter indices to be used by the customer
• You are able to understand user requirements and translate them to detailed
• You work closely together with the software development team; you act as a
software product owner by providing them input for the software development
• You are a team player, and take ownership of projects assigned to you.
• You provide clear and effective communication with the sales team and the
• You provide timely support to the customer when needed. You feel responsible
for their questions and problems, and you strive for effective solutions.
Direct reporting line
The Software Development Engineer reports to the Team Lead Application
Development, Projects & Support.
• University of applied science (HBO) degree in software engineering, (technical)
computer science, applied physics or similar with programming experience.
• You have 3 or more years of experience as a software engineer or developer
• You are an experienced C and C++ programmer
• You have knowledge of Python
• Analytically skilled, you have the ability to translate complex user stories into a
• You have affinity with data processing & data analysis
• You have experience with a professional software development environment:
structured and modular development, automated (unit) testing, change
control, automated pipelines and release management
• Knowledge of documentation: coding standards, commentary, version
• Excellent communicator in English, both verbally, in writing and presenting
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Word, Excel).
• Knowledge of data cloud / networking
• Knowledge of MATLAB, LabVIEW
• Physics background
Since this is a new job in a fast-growing company, we prefer a full-time commitment
but 32-36 hours is an option. You preferably work from our Alkmaar headquarters,
but we have a hybrid working policy allowing you to work 2 days from home if the
PhotonFirst is a young and maturing professional organization. We have developed
a strong pragmatic team mentality in which we work and experiment together to
achieve common goals. We are looking for a wide diversity of people coming from
different backgrounds to join our organization. We have formulated the following
personal traits contributing to our professional mentality:
• Passionate team player taking ownership
• Open, straight, result driven and can-do mentality
• Pioneering, creative, flexible, and entrepreneurial
• Perseverant, professional, and well structured
• Friendly & ‘fun to work with.
Contact us to learn more
Please contact our HR and Recruitment advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org) to
learn more about this exciting job in one of The Netherlands’ most promising